Hari Matar (green peas) ki Kachori Recipe
Hari Matar ki Kachori are deep fried,crisp and flaky dough balls stuffed with spicy green peas filling. It is a very popular snack in Northern part of India especially in winters. In India, these kachori’s are served as an evening snack or in breakfast and are best enjoyed hot with coriander chutney, tamarind(imli) chutney, sweet dates chutney or aloo ki sabji.
Generally the peas are first boiled and then mashed to prepare the filling. But in this recipe i have not boiled the peas instead made a coarse paste of the peas in a grinder and then cooked the peas for the filling.
Directions to prepare the recipe:
- In a bowl, take whole purpose flour, salt, ghee and ajwain (caraway seeds). Mix well.
- Mix well till it forms a bread crumb like texture.
- Now add water and knead into a tight dough. Cover it with a moist cloth and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a grinder grind the green peas into a coarse paste.
- In a pan, heat some oil and add asafoetida, cumin seeds and finely chopped ginger. Saute it for a minute.
- Add green peas. Mix well and saute it for a minute.
- Now add salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Again mix well and saute it till the green peas start changing its colour.
- Finally, add dry mango powder (amchur) and saute it for another 10 minutes on low flame.
- Keep the mixture aside for cooling.
- Now pinch equal size balls from the dough and roll it into 3-4 inch round.
- Brush some oil on the dough and fill the green peas mixture in the center of the rolled dough.
- Bring together all the edges and pinch them.
- Again roll it into 3-4 inch round.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- On low-medium flame, fry the matar kachori’s till they become golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the kachori’s on tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot with coriander or tamarind chutney.