Dahi Vada Recipe
Dahi Vada’s are a very popular snack in India. They are basically deep fried lentil balls dipped in sweetened thick and creamy yogurt and topped with chutneys and spices. Dahi Vada’s are soft and spongy and that sponginess can only be achieved by the smoothness of the batter prepared with the lentils soaked overnight.
I have made the North-Indian version of the Vada which is a bit different from the South Indian Version. In some parts of the North-India Dahi Vada’s are enjoyed as a snack or chaat while in Some parts they are served as a side dish with Lunch or Dinner. Many people make them on festivals like Holi, Diwali or even on some special occasions.
Directions to prepare the recipe:
- Rinse the lentils in the water 3-4 times and soak it for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Drain and add the lentils in the grinder and add 1/2 tsp salt.
- Grind it into a smooth,light and fluffy paste.You can add very little water if required.Do not add a lot of water else the paste will become watery and not fluffy.I used 2 tbsp of water.
- Shift the batter into a bowl and stir it well.
- Take another bowl and fill it with water to dip the vada’s after frying.
- Wet your palm with water and take a spoon full of batter on your wet palm. (Always wet your palms with water before putting the batter as it helps the batter slip easily into the wok else it will stick to your palm.
- Now put 1-2 finely chopped ginger pieces, 1 piece of chopped green chili and 1 or 1/2 piece of kishmish(raisins) in between the batter.
- Fold the batter with light hands so that the ginger, green chili and raisins gets in the center of the vada.
- Heat oil in a wok. On medium flame slowly slide the batter into the oil and fry till it becomes golden in color. Make sure you do not fry the vada on high heat as it will not cook from inside.
- Now dip the vada’s directly into the water and soak it for few minutes. Do not soak it longer as they may start breaking.
- Now press each vada in between your palms lightly to remove excess water.
- Take another bowl and keep a sieve on the bowl. Add sugar on the sieve.
- Add yogurt on the sieve and stir it with a spoon to get smooth and creamy yogurt. Keep some yogurt aside to add it later on top of the vada.
- Add all the vadas in yogurt and mix it lightly with hands so that all the vada’s are coated properly. Refrigerate for half an hour so that all the vada’s absorb the yogurt.
- Finally serve the vada chilled topped with some yogurt (which we kept aside before), cumin powder, red chili powder,salt if required, coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.